Patient Support Services.
Oncology Liaison Nurse - A Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS)
A diagnosis of cancer has a profound effect on patients and their families. To help people at this difficult time and throughout their treatment, the Irish Cancer Society funds a specific type of hospital based nurse specialist, called an Oncology Liaison Nurse.
The Oncology Liaison Nurse is not involved in hands-on nursing care; rather they are there to give information and reassurance during the cancer diagnosis and subsequent treatment. Oncology liaison nurses are a valuable channel of communication between the oncology team and their patients, as often patients may be too fearful or overwhelmed to voice a particular worry or concern that they may have.
The Oncology Liaison Nurse is there to provide emotional and practical support and advice to the patient and to their family. These nurses are experienced cancer specialists who contribute to the overall management of a patient, by working as part of the oncology team and liasing with the family.
Twenty-six Oncology Liaison Nurses are now working in this service, which provides psychological support to patients in the following major cancer treatment centres.
Account of An Oncology Liaison Nurse:
- "My role is one of support during diagnosis of cancer and throughout subsequent treatment. I also provide an extra channel of communication between the patient, their family, and the Oncologist. This helps to ensure that both patient and family understand exactly what lies ahead. In many cases I can help to answer questions and help to alleviate unnecessary fears. I believe that by giving people information, time and support, there is a real benefit for the patient’s psychological and emotional health, both during hospitalisation and at later on at home."
- Oncology Liason Nurse, St. Lukes Hospital.
- · Letterkenny General Hospital Tel: 074 9125 888
- · Limerick Regional Hospital Tel: 061 301 111
- · Sligo General Hospital Tel: 071 917 4696
- · University College Hospital Galway, Galway City. Tel: 091 524 222
- · Merlin Park Hospital, Galway City. Tel: 091 757 631
- · St. James's Hospital, Dublin 8 Tel: 01 410 3000 / 01 416 2045
- · St. Luke's Hospital, Rathgar, Dublin Tel: 01 406 5000
- · St. Vincent's Hospital, Dublin City Tel: 01 269 4533
- · Mater Hospital, Dublin 7 Tel: 01 830 2000 / 01 803 4446
- · Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9 Tel: 01 837 7755
- · Adelaide & Meath Hospital, Tallaght. Telephone 01 4142000
- · Royal Victoria Eye & Ear Tel: 01 6644600
- · Waterford Regional Hospital, Waterford Town Tel: 051 848 000 ext. 2174
- · Mercy Hospital, Cork Tel: 021 427 1971
- · South Infirmary Victoria Hospital, Cork Tel: 021 492 6100
- · Cork University Hospital, 021 4271971
- · Cavan General Hospital Tel: 049 4376000
- · Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital Tel: 041 9837601
Courtesy of The Irish Cancer Society